There is a lot of excitement stirring over the 2013 Audi Q5 hybrid, with good reason. Powered by a 2.0-liter inline-4, paired up with an electric motor, this is a vehicle that will put an end to all the rumors that hybrids have no power. An eight-speed automatic transmission helps to deliver an impressive 241 horsepower and 351 pound-feet of torque. Zero to 60 mph is achieved in about 7 seconds, and the vehicle can reach up to 62 mph simply on power from its lithium battery. The Q5 hybrid will return 20 mpg in the city and 27 mpg on the highway. Sadly, although this is certainly acceptable, many consumers won’t find these numbers that impressive. As for the ride, it will be just as smooth and refined as its non-hybrid relatives, thanks to its four-wheel independent suspension. This ensures that bumps felt from one wheel are not transferred to another.
|ReviewitOnline Ratings are based on a number of factors including reputation, appearance, model age, engine & other comparative aspects.|
• MMI Navigation Plus - This outstanding system combines HD radio, CD and DVD technology with an MMI Navigation system with Audi Connect, voice control, rearview camera and the coveted Audi parking system.
• Bang and Olufsen Sound System - Talk about top-of-the-line; this sound system will blow you away. It is powered by 505 watts with 14 speaker and noise compensation technology ensures that the interior maintains a constant volume regardless of speed or road conditions.
• SiriusXM Traffic - The Q5 hybrid comes with a nice long four-year subscription, so you always know where traffic jams are before you get to them.
• Homelink - Eliminate the need for several remotes on your visor with the Homelink system.
Crash tests have not yet been performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. However, the 2013 hybrid is expected to rate the same as the 2012 non-hybrid, which received a “Good” status on front, roof and side-impact crash tests. An intelligent airbag system will offer the option of adding on rear passenger side airbags. Other safety features include:
• Lower anchors and tethers for children
• Traction control
• Emergency braking assist
• Tire pressure monitoring
• Electronic brake-pressure distribution
• Stability control
• Rear door safety locks
• Antitheft device
• Electromechanical parking brake
• Engine immobilizer
• Traction control
• Post-collision safety system
• Whiplash protection system in front head restraints
• Turn signal mirrors
• Front seatbelt pretensioners
As if the 2013 Q5 isn’t stunning enough, the hybrid gets special 19” 10-spoke Turbine-design wheels to set it apart from the others. Pair these eye-catching wheels up with an aerodynamic roof, fierce grille and body-colored door handles, mirrors and bumpers and it is one show-stopping vehicle.
The first thing you notice when you slip behind the wheel of the 2013 Q5 hybrid is the unique instrument cluster. While there is the traditional driver information system that shows mileage and range, there is also a gauge dedicated to monitoring recharging activity. In addition to this, all controls are thoughtfully placed with the driver in mind. Although the Q5 looks more on the compact size, there is actually a ton of space for all five passengers. High-quality materials are used throughout, and the rear seat slides and reclines, which is not commonly found in a five-passenger seating vehicle.
No one will be buying the Q5 who needs an abundance of cargo space. Although there is an impressive 29.1 cubic feet behind the rear seat, there is only 57.3 cubic feet total with the rear seat down.