The sporty styling and iconic grille of the 2013 Audi Q5 may lure you in, but it is what’s under the hood that will keep you intrigued. The 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine delivers an impressive 211 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Don’t let this small engine fool you ; it has plenty of get-up-and-go, accelerating zero to 60 mph in 7 seconds flat. It also returns fantastic fuel-economy at 20 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway. If you need a little more power, the 3.0-liter DOHC supercharged V6 gets aluminum used for the cylinder head and block to reduce weight, thereby making it more efficient. This upgraded engine boasts 272 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. Fuel-economy has not been determined yet, but it is known to accelerate zero to 60 mph in 6 seconds. The ride is responsive and smooth, but isn’t that what you would expect from Audi? With a trapezoidal-link rear suspension and five-link front suspension, you will feel like you are gliding down the road. The Q5 also features a trailer hitch provision capable of towing up to 4,400 pounds.
|ReviewitOnline Ratings are based on a number of factors including reputation, appearance, model age, engine & other comparative aspects.|
• Rear Seat Entertainment - Optional on all trims is a rear seat entertainment package that allows passengers to watch movies and play video games with wireless controllers, and with or without headphones.
• MMI Navigation Package - Audi is well-known for their voice-control navigation package. It allows you to easily operate the navigation system, rearview camera, CD player, console-mounted MMI system, HP radio and digital music storage without taking your eyes off the road.
• Sound System - Although the standard sound system is certainly acceptable with MP3 capabilities and 10 speakers, you may want to upgrade to the Bang and Olufsen sound system with 505 watts and 14 premium speakers.
The 2012 Q5 scored “Good” in front, side and roof crash tests from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, and the 2013 model is expected to fall right in line. Audi is known for designing vehicles with safety in mind with plenty of airbags and thoughtful features, including:
• Electromechanical parking brake
• Tire pressure monitoring
• Antitheft alarm with a panic function
• Antilock brake system
• Electronic brakeforce distribution
• Traction control
• Brake drying
• Child seat anchors
• Stability control
• Post collision safety system
• Emergency braking assist
• Dusk sensing headlamps
• Engine immobilizer
• Rear door safety locks
• High-pressure headlamps
• Turn signal mirrors
• Front seatbelt pretensioners
• Whiplash protection system in front head restraints
The first thing that you notice about the 2013 Q5 is the grille; people will know it is an Audi creeping up in their rearview mirror from a mile away. The body styling is sporty with a sloped roof and absolutely fantastic headlamps. Body colored mirrors, molding, door handles and bumpers create a harmonious look while dual exhaust tips give it a little flare in the back.
As you would expect, the interior styling of the 2013 Q5 is top-notch. It is classy yet comfortable and all controls are thoughtfully laid out. Seating for five is offered with plush leather seats that you just sort of melt into. Although the slope of the roof looks as though it would compromise head room, it really doesn’t ; rear seat passengers have more than enough room to get cozy for a long ride. Front seat passengers enjoy power and heated seats while rear seat riders have an adjustable recliner. Although there are plenty of bells and whistles, nothing comes off as being overly cluttered.
Cargo capacity will delight some while disappointing others. With the rear seat in place, you get 29.1 cubic feet, which is a significant amount of space for daily use. However, with the rear seat down, you only get 57.3 cubic feet, which falls short of much of its competition.